Head of Engineering
Who are we?
SmartLiv is a well-funded incubation team that has endless possibilities for our future. We are made up of global aspirational strivers leading the next generation of IoT because we believe the sum is greater than its parts. We aspire to elevate the moments of people’s lives around the world so that people can focus on the experience. And yes, we have some aggressive goals but that’s where the fun is.
Who are we looking for?
As CTO, you will lead all strategy and execution of technology at SmartLiv. You will be responsible for building and scaling team and executive leadership, technology strategy, process and methodology, and cross-functional collaboration.
What will you be doing?
Team and Executive Leadership
- Build, manage, and develop a growing remote team located in China and the US
- Coach and mentor various team members outside of direct reports
- Facilitate communication by leading all-hands and department leadership meetings
- Work with local leadership in change management
- Lead by example for our culture and values
- Participate in annual team building and company values activities
Technology strategy & Process and Methodology
- Define technology standards and best practices
- Define and monitor company’s system infrastructure
- Provide impactful insights into the company’s strategic direction
- Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the technology roadmap & OKR’s
- Develop strategic plans and set timelines for evaluation, development, and deployment of all technologies
- Define and execute a strategic approach to scale the technology teams
- Ensure proper performance monitoring of our tools and platforms
- Ensure we have an efficient way to meet security standards and requirements
- Define company standards for systems, equipment, and software
- Provide regular market insights to ensure our technology strategy stays current and contributes to our competitive advantage
- Track and report on process-related metrics
- Advance methodology innovation to ensure we have space to utilize new approaches for delivering software while still meeting OKR’s and timelines
- Manage IT budget
- Build processes for data protection and quality assurance
- Monitor Key Performance Indicators and metrics
- Partner closely with all business leaders across functions to identify and prioritize the company’s goals
- Ensure a close partnership with the Product team to collectively bring high-quality solutions in line with requirements, quality standards and timelines
- Form a close partnership with Professional Services & Customer Success to help troubleshoot any technical roadblocks and assist with any technology-related client escalation.
- Work closely with our Sales and marketing teams to help expand our client base
- Attend and contribute to key business development meetings
Experiences and expertise, you’ll need:
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Engineering or another similar field with additional 5 years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree
- 7+ years of experience as a technology leader strategizing full tech stack
- Previous work experience as a Chief Technology Officer or another similar leadership role
- 7+ years of experience managing cross-functional technology resources in a remote and/or geo-distributed environment
- 7+ years defining and managing OKRs, managing performance review cycles and delivery reviews
- Experience scaling technology teams from 5 to 200+
- Comprehension of budgets
- Understanding of business planning
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and abilities to communicate complex technical topics to stakeholders with varying technical knowledge
- Able to conduct research and analyses of technology
- Architected complex platforms and developed technology roadmaps
- Designed, implemented, and optimized processes for development, QA, security, and IT.
- Ability to travel globally up to 10% of the time (post covid)
- Deep understanding of IoT technology, technological trends, and data